|1R13CA101634-01 Interpret this number
|Memorial Hospital Of Rhode Island
|Primary Care Genetics Cancer Prevention Conference
DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): We propose an innovative video teleconference hosted by the Brown University Center for Primary Care and Prevention and the University of Oxford Department of Primary Healthcare with the goals of:
1. Promoting evidence-based best practice models of cancer prevention though applied genetics by primary care physicians and
2. Advancing the role of the primary care scholar in translational genetics research.
Our specific aims are to translate emerging genetic epidemiological and pharmacogenetics research into evidence-based practice models for primary care physicians by:
1. Fostering a broad understanding of the emerging role of the new genetics in primary care.
2. Promoting a culturally-appropriate skill set to identify, screen, and counsel patients with an elevated heritable risk of cancer and other illnesses.
3. Addressing key policy and ethical implications of genetics for primary care.
4. Identifying strategies for organizing primary care office system to promote the use of genetic technology.
5. Envisioning the new frontier of primary care genetics research from "bench-to-bedside-to-society".
Trans-disciplinary experts from primary care, genetic epidemiology, behavioral medicine, and health policy will present an interactive trans-Atlantic forum to promote the development of key knowledge, skills, and practice behavior among practicing, community-based primary care physicians. This half-day conference will take place in Providence, Rhode Island, USA, with video simulcast to London, United Kingdom, and will serve as the nidus for synergistic collaboration in translational genetics research and education.