Skip to main content
An official website of the United States government
Grant Details

Grant Number: 5R01CA067151-04 Interpret this number
Primary Investigator: Li, Frederick
Organization: Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Project Title: Inherited Msh2/Mlh1 Mutations in Colon Cancer Subgroups
Fiscal Year: 1998


In recent months, 2 genes were identified for the common form of hereditary colorectal cancer (hereditary non-polyposis colon cancer; HNPCC). Based on small numbers of highly selected families, as much as 90% of HNPCC might be attributable to these genes and carriers have an estimated 70-90% lifetime risk of colorectal cancer. However, HNPCC accounts for 4% or less of all colorectal cancers. The frequency of inherited MSH2 and MLH1 mutations is unknown among the other 96% of all colorectal cancers. Therefore, the aims of this population-based epidemiological study are to determine the frequencies of germline MSH2 and MLH1 mutations (carriers) in a population-based, stratified sample of 400 colorectal cancer patients randomly selected from the Cancer Surveillance Program of Orange, Imperial and San Diego Counties, California. Study subjects will be sampled from strata defined by family history of colorectal cancer (hereditary non-polyposis colon cancer, familial cases but not HNPCC, and sporadic cases), and age at cancer diagnosis (0-64 years, and 65 years and over). The results of mutational status (its presence or absence, and mutation site and type within the MSH2/MSH1 genes) will be correlated with data collated on family history, age at diagnosis, and RER status, as well as clinical, demographic and risk factor data from the questionnaire interview. The data from this population-based study will facilitate strategic planning for translation cancer control research that targets family members of subsets of colorectal cancer cases.


Survival after colorectal cancer diagnosis is associated with colorectal cancer family history.
Authors: Zell J.A. , Honda J. , Ziogas A. , Anton-Culver H. .
Source: Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers & prevention : a publication of the American Association for Cancer Research, cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology, 2008 Nov; 17(11), p. 3134-40.
PMID: 18990755
Related Citations

Risk and risk reduction involving arginine intake and meat consumption in colorectal tumorigenesis and survival.
Authors: Zell J.A. , Ignatenko N.A. , Yerushalmi H.F. , Ziogas A. , Besselsen D.G. , Gerner E.W. , Anton-Culver H. .
Source: International journal of cancer, 2007-02-01; 120(3), p. 459-68.
PMID: 17096347
Related Citations

Differential effects of wine consumption on colorectal cancer outcomes based on family history of the disease.
Authors: Zell J.A. , McEligot A.J. , Ziogas A. , Holcombe R.F. , Anton-Culver H. .
Source: Nutrition and cancer, 2007; 59(1), p. 36-45.
PMID: 17927500
Related Citations

Germ-line msh6 mutations in colorectal cancer families.
Authors: Kolodner R.D. , Tytell J.D. , Schmeits J.L. , Kane M.F. , Gupta R.D. , Weger J. , Wahlberg S. , Fox E.A. , Peel D. , Ziogas A. , et al. .
Source: Cancer research, 1999-10-15; 59(20), p. 5068-74.
PMID: 10537275
Related Citations

Methylation of the hMLH1 promoter correlates with lack of expression of hMLH1 in sporadic colon tumors and mismatch repair-defective human tumor cell lines.
Authors: Kane M.F. , Loda M. , Gaida G.M. , Lipman J. , Mishra R. , Goldman H. , Jessup J.M. , Kolodner R. .
Source: Cancer research, 1997-03-01; 57(5), p. 808-11.
PMID: 9041175
Related Citations

Biochemistry and genetics of eukaryotic mismatch repair.
Authors: Kolodner R. .
Source: Genes & development, 1996-06-15; 10(12), p. 1433-42.
PMID: 8666228
Related Citations

Mismatch repair: mechanisms and relationship to cancer susceptibility.
Authors: Kolodner R.D. .
Source: Trends in biochemical sciences, 1995 Oct; 20(10), p. 397-401.
PMID: 8533151
Related Citations

Back to Top